So we have the Nubian dairy goats now.  I'm milking 1 of them.... last night the one that we thought wasn't due until April 16th decided to have triplets..... and later this morning I head out to go and get the 3rd one who we left there because she was so close to giving birth we didn't want to move her (she had the baby the day after we left - good call!!)....

Right now with just milking the 1 goat we are getting almost 1 gallon of milk per day.  We have 1 official "goat herd share" member (we just started and are really working on that) - but that's only 1/2 gallon gone per week!!  Then we have a couple of people pick up a quart here or there throughout the week.

I made 1 GALLON of yogurt the day we got back.  I made it in my Excalibur Dehydrator (very cool machine BTW) and I used Stonyfield Farms organic plain yogurt as a starter.  I'm getting Viilli starter to try making it on the counter without a machine - I'll let you know how that works out!  We've made cheese, Paneer, which is just a plain white cheese which will take on the taste of what you put in it - plus you just use white vinegar so it's pretty darn simple.  That can be used as a meat replacer as well!

Now, thanks to my friend, I have milk kefir grains going - dang.... people weren't kidding when they said they multiply like crazy!!!  We might be offering these by the weekend at the rate they are going!

Then we are freezing some of the milk for later use - things like bottle babies, dry season for the goats, etc.

What am I learning through all this?  It's actually amazing.  I feel like I am going into a completely different world to be honest.  For the past 4 years we've sat on the edges, we offer incredible meat (I'm allowed to say that because I still get amazed when I don't even have to drain my ground PORK) but what about eating healthier and taking it to another level?

I'm learning right now about "Lacto-fermentation".  Am I an expert on it?  No way!!  I'm wading through it - and honestly I can't wait to make sauerkraut with some cabbage soon! Or pickle some carrots.  

Then - I'm working on building up everyone's "pro-biotic" level.  Alexis was diagnosed with probable Lyme's Disease.  I did choose to put her on the anti-biotics for it because I have seen what can happen if you "let it go" - serious changes in the person.  So, I let her drink water kefir.  This drink is SOOO simple and it's replacing my personal soda fixation.  Plus - I spent the money on the grains... and now I let nature do it's thing and I don't need to keep buying soda!  1 glass gives her some serious pro-biotic kick.  Since I know you will ask - here is my recipe:

2 quarts water (we have a well and it's really good water)
Water Kefir Grains (purchased from http://www.culturesforhealth.com)
1/2 cup Dehydrated Cane Sugar (organic stuff - found even at Giant or Bloom)

Let sit for 24 hours - then drain.  I then add 1/4 cup lemon juice, and 1 TBSP Bee Pollen to the water.  Tastes like Lemonade!!

There is a ton about this stuff and ways to go about it.  I'm working up to making 1 gallon per day and letting everyone in the family drink it as they want.

Here's a cool website about it: http://users.sa.chariot.net.au/~dna/kefirpage.html

I'm planning on working on Kombucha tea as well (waiting for that stuff to come in)... so the final drink choices in the house will be: Raw Goat Milk, Milk Kefir (think thin yogurt), Water Kefir, & Kombucha tea.  Mix that with some of the healthier food choices - including organ meat - I think we'll be better for it!

Now come on Cabbage!!  GROW GROW GROW!!!!!

date Monday, April 5, 2010

0 comments to “What to do with all the milk??”