This is actually a very hard thing to do... yet as I sit with my new set up of Quickbooks Online open, it occurred to me how much of a business this is.

I love what we do - don't EVER get me wrong on that one.  I love living here.  Joe and I were talking last night about being able to make it work after he retires and being able to stay here.  This is a very expensive place to live - on a farm or in the suburbs - so this was a big conversation.  My favorite amazing tree is in bloom (it's a 2+ story Dogwood - if you can come and see it do so - it's worth it) and I can sit and smile at it.

BUT in order to stay here it has to be more than sustainable - it has to provide income.  This is my full time job.  It might seem some days that I just sit around - but hey you guys get a weekend most of the time or a day off right?  We really don't - so I get my "sit around" days because in a few hours I will need to milk cows, or check to see the new babies, or clean a stall.... well you get the point.

Can it be "profitable"?  Well nope.  I don't really think it can to the point most people would ever see it as a true "income".  Farming will NEVER be a late night infomercial promising you thousands in a few easy steps.  I know, we've all seen the ones about alpacas - but honestly, they are a lot of work too (and don't get me started on the price of each one of those animals!).

What we need to do is be business people as well as customer service as well as ..... well everything.  It's draining, especially when we need to put our foot down and say enough and be the bad guy no one ever wants to be.  We've done it before - Joe & I.  Running a computer store successfully for 12 years is an accomplishment and it was a lot of work - though honestly I can't say it was as rewarding.

Today I went and sat with a new "inventory" item - our new baby bull "Stretch."  He was laying out in the sun and I sat and hung out with him and scratched his head and said Hi for awhile.  Then I played with another "inventory" item (who sadly will one day end up in the freezer).... and had him follow me around for awhile.  4:30 this morning though I was putting in invoices and working on Quickbooks and trying to get the accounts correct.  Don't EVER think that's normal for me though - I'm not a morning person.

So we look around and see this entire thing differently.  It is our home, it is beautiful...... and it is our business.

date Tuesday, April 26, 2011

1 comments to “Seeing farming as a business”

  1. Unknown
    April 27, 2011 at 2:00 PM

    I wish you guys the very best. I'm proud to be able to support you in this.
    I know only a tiny bit of what you do to run this business and it overwhelms me. :-) So my hat's off to you guys.
    Mark