This morning proved it.  Forget the feed - there are WORMS on the ground!  Poor worms didn't know what hit them.

First I let out the ducks and they haven't eaten feed in a few days while it is raining.  Why?  Would you if a tastier dinner kept presenting itself from the ground?  I move the feeder, the ducks are there waiting for the bounty underneath..... move the water dish - the ground is cleaned up in a minute.

Next, I go let the chickens out from the coop.  This is just funny anyways because it always reminds me of those little clown cars where the clowns keep coming out, even when you think they are all out.  However, slightly rainy days are PERFECT!  Usually a bunch of worms are right outside the door - so that causes a MAJOR traffic jam (and you thought route 7 was bad).... then I open up the rest of the doors and no worm is safe.  Everyone ignores the feeders and just stands around eating worms.

Mind you this doesn't happen with just worms.  If a little field mouse got into the coop - heaven help it as ALL the chickens will chase it.  The chickens are worse than cats I think in that respect.

They have no qualms about eating their own either.  Sorry if this grosses you out a little - but while we are butchering chickens, there are other chickens just waiting for scraps!  On top of that, they are as bad as the dogs about the blood!  I try and tell them "that's not right" but they don't listen at all.

Why my little rambling about this?  Ok, besides my amusement this morning watching my birds... it's the new Perdue commercial they are running which states that their cage free birds are fed a vegetarian feed.  I laugh every time I see it, it's that funny.  Vegetarian chickens just aren't natural so don't force them to be!!  I know and understand about marketing and honestly, I am always amused by commercials that have chickens in them no matter what (I even make Joe rewind commercials sometimes so I can watch it - hey he gets to rewind the Victoria's Secret commercials!!)  but this commercial and I guess Perdue is now certified in some fashion by the USDA.  Good grief.... I've seen the land that some of these chicken farms are on... I see no reason NOT to let them outside to run around!!  But that's a different soap box and I'm done for this morning :)

date Wednesday, April 13, 2011

0 comments to “Chickens are NOT Vegetarians”