What a day - we finally get to just sit. Yesterday was our last round of turkeys and we truly hope that everyone enjoys them!! We get to enjoy ours tomorrow when I set up the smoker and try smoking one (I've never done it).

Butchering the turkeys was truly a family event. Unlike the chickens where I can do 10-20 myself in about 1 hour (not including the time the water takes to heat up) - turkeys take awhile. We did our best getting ALL the feathers off - but this is a challenge. All the kids helped out with this and worked with us, creating memories to last for years to come (though I doubt they see it like that right now). Some of the best parts were the kids saying, "This turkey just looks YUMMY - I'm hungry now!" to Joe spraying us with VERY COLD water at the end to remind us we were almost done.

We will be doing the last 13 turkeys for Christmas this year and 1 will get to be ours. What a fun time this has been!!

Then Jacob got to go "mushroom hunting" with a family friend and came back with a treasure of Wild Oyster Mushrooms! I found a cool website: http://www.wildmanstevebrill.com/ which seems to have some great recipes for these local treats. I think I'm adding the mushroom rice recipe to our Thanksgiving meal today!

date Thursday, November 26, 2009

0 comments to “Happy Thanksgiving!”