I saw a post the other day with Pumpkin Chili and had it in my mind the last few days that I needed to have it.  Yesterday was freezing cold and just a wonderful lazy day so it was perfect.  I didn't bookmark the recipe I saw before - so I searched up for Paleo Pumpkin Chili and went from there.

http://civilizedcavemancooking.com/foodslideshow/pumpkin-chicken-chili-2/ is the one I came up with - of course I hardly ever follow the directions so instead I'll say that this is the one I chose to use as the guideline.

My family dubbed it a hit.  Personally I'll be making a couple changes again.


Pumpkin Chicken Chili

Here is a great Pumpkin Chicken Chili recipe that isn’t too spicy but hits that perfect warming spot that we all love on cold Fall Days.  Enjoy :)
Servings: 8-10
Prep Time: 20 Minutes
Cook Time: 40 Minutes
Ingredients:
  • 4 lbs ground beef
  • 1 can Pumpkin Puree
  • 2 Cups Bell Pepper, Diced (Color of your choice)
  • 2 Cups of Sweet Onion, Diced
  • 3 cans of chopped green chiles
  • 2 Cup Chicken Stock
  • 1 Cup White Wine (Optional)
  • 28 Ounces crushed tomatoes
  • 12 Ounces Tomato paste
  • 1 Cloves of Garlic, minced
  • 3 Tbsp Chili Powder
  • 2 Tbsp Cinnamon
  • 2 Tbsp Nutmeg
  • 1 Tsp Ground Coriander
  • Sea Salt to taste (I just ground in about 1-2 tsp)
  • 2 Tbsp Lard or Coconut Oil
Process:
  1. Heat the lard in a 5qt Dutch Oven over medium heat
  2. Saute your onions until lightly browned, then add your bell peppers, jalapenos, and garlic and saute for another 5 minutes
  3. Add in your ground beef 1-2 lbs at a time browning as you go.
  4. Add in your chicken stock, white wine, crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, chili powder, spices & salt, and simmer for 20 minutes
  5. Stir in your pumpkin cook for an additional 5 minutes
  6. Reduce heat to low and let sit until ready to serve or serve immediately
I finished putting it together around 12-1 and served at 5.  Next time I will do diced tomatoes instead of the crushed tomatoes as it is a little soupy for my taste.

The pumpkin adds a sweet flavor to the chili which I think everyone enjoyed.  As someone who usually adds in brown sugar, this was a different way to go it (especially going paleo means no sugar)

Now, I topped it off with a chipolte mayo.  (Mix 1 cup of mayo with 1-2 chipolte chilis in adobo sauce depending on how spicy you want it)  This added a spice that I liked to the chili.... I also made a bunch of this because we used it on sandwiches the other night and I have now decided it is a must have in my kitchen (it even goes with steak!)

date Tuesday, January 24, 2012

0 comments to “Pumpkin Chili Recipe”