I think this question is asked of me a lot.  HOW DO YOU DO IT?

Answer... I don't always do it and believe me, I screw up a lot!

However, if I can remain consistent in planning my meals for the week, my week goes so much more smoothly.  It doesn't eliminate the "What's for dinner??" question that everyone seems the need to ask multiple times throughout the day... but it helps me figure out where we are.

This year is a little different.  2 kids are playing sports.... this means I don't pick them up until 6.  Then there are meets and games after school - some which we need to attend! Some days we are butchering chickens and I really won't want to "do dinner" after that... you get the idea, dinner is hectic.

I use (and pay for) meal planning services.  My newest favorite is The Fresh 20 which gives you a week of menus that have 20 ingredients.  I'm hopeful this will help my budget out!!  Granted, I have the ability to grab meat from the freezer - but I have had situations where this is not possible.

Then I don't always like the menus for the week or with games and practices, I need something already in the crock pot.  One of my favorite right now is the one from Allrecipes.com - Slow Cooker (100 Best Recipes from Allrecipes.com) This one is an eBook so it's on all my electronics (including my phone).

Lastly - I love freezer meals.  I use Once a Month Mom which is FREE!  They are great recipes and perfect for those days you really don't want to cook.  They have a "Whole Foods" version which is really good as well.  I like these because you can also use these meals to pass on when a friend (or stranger) is in need.

Next I print out what I am cooking for the week.  I am using a basic template from Microsoft Office this year.  Last year - I just printed a list I made up in Word.  After I finish, the list gets posted to the fridge.

This week's menu:

Sunday - Chili with corn bread (one of those recipes in my head for years)
Monday - Carnitas with rice & side salad (from the slow cooker cook book)
Tuesday - Parmesan crusted chicken, new potato salad & apple wedges (the fresh 20)
Wednesday - Balsamic glazed cod, broccoli gratin, steamed potatoes (the fresh 20)
Thursday - Italian Beef Sandwiches, mac & cheese, mixed greens salad (slow cooker)
Friday - Tailgating dinner (I found some wrap recipes on The Food Network that I might try)
Saturday - Joe's Choice (usually something on the grill)

See how knowing what is for dinner takes a huge weight off your shoulders?  It's amazing how that works!  From what I have heard, The Fresh 20 is also going to be doing a LUNCH menu debuting the 5th of September and I can't wait for it because it will be nice to know what's going in the kids lunches every day - especially since school lunches are now $3.10/day and with 5 kids... yeah you get the idea.... and I have yet to meet a teenager that told me they were satisfied after eating one of those lunches!

Hope this helps 1 of you :)


date Sunday, August 28, 2011

0 comments to “Healthy Meal Planning During the School Year”