I don't like numbers.  I don't care that I got an 'A' in Algebra or that I got another 'A' in accounting (to Joe's amazement)  - I don't like to run numbers at all - I give that work to Joe.

Last night I went to look at the pricing at the grocery store to see what prices are for meat.  I was astonished.  Sometimes I wear blinders as I can't tell you the last time I had to BUY my own beef or pork.  If we didn't raise our own meat, no way would I ever have a Delmonico steak - why?  I'm feeding 7 at this moment.

Our goal when we decided to start raising animals was to have meat for our family - period.  I wanted it to be the best we could give to our family....THEN as we grew I wanted to offer the best we could to our customers.

However, we need to do the best we can and keep it at prices people can afford to pay.

Then we have to go with our beliefs.  I don't think that "organic" is best - it's definitely not cost effective for that special word.  (3x the cost for the feed)  I think that seeing is best and knowing who you are buying from is worth a million bucks.  THAT is the backbone of knowing what is best (remember the hardware stores where the people knew you and actually KNEW what you were talking about? I remember that when I used to go with my dad to the store - they knew him and could actually help him find various items).

This is what I stand by and I know my husband does to as we look at this as our business - if we will not offer it to our family - we will not offer it to yours.  

date Thursday, March 3, 2011

0 comments to “Logistics Stink”