So yesterday I made butter from our raw cream - awesome if I do say so myself.  A secondary product of making butter is BUTTERMILK.  So what do I do with this stuff?

My first thought - BREAD.

Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day: The Discovery That Revolutionizes Home Baking is one of my favorite books of all time.  I LOVE the bread recipes in this book.

So the main recipe which is super easy and yummy was my trial.

Buttermilk Bread

3 cups butter milk
1 1/2 TBSP Active Yeast
1 1/2 TBSP Coarse Salt (I used Himalayan Sea Salt)
6 1/2 Cups Unbleached White Flour (I'd like to try this with a sprouted flour but I didn't have any)

Preheat oven to 450 with a pizza stone inside and a tray with a little bit of lip underneath.  I suggest the middle
rack.

Mix all ingredients together then let rise 45 minutes
Pull off a piece (recipe makes 1-4 loaves depending on the size you want) and shape into your loaf.
Let rise for another 45 minutes
Put on the pizza stone along with 1 cup of cool water on the bottom pan and shut the door quickly

Cooking time is approximately 35-45 minutes

The water in the bottom pan creates wonderful steam which will cause the outside of the bread to crust!

Since there was no bread leftover - I'm going to say the reviews from the family rocked.  It didn't even last long enough to take a picture of!

date Sunday, February 13, 2011

0 comments to “Buttermilk Bread Recipe”