That gives your kids 30+ pro-biotic cultures and THEY LIKE IT!?

With so many problems today with kids drinking sodas and pretty much "crap" - this summer I have the solution... my kids will be drinking the water kefir or kombucha only (or homemade lemonade - but I can do THAT with kefir!)

I'm up to making 1 gallon every couple of days of each (I like it to ferment 48 hours at least).

I just made it with Dole's 100% (or as close as possible) Mango, Pineapple juice and it is really good!  I use 2 cups in just under a gallon of water kefir.  It makes 8 bottles which is ok - but I seriously need to be able to make more as my kids will go through this in a heart beat on a hot day!

I have started using some raw agave sweetener in it which works well.  I picked that up at Costco for $7.99 for 2 larger bottles.  I also skimp and use just plain regular sugar if I'm in a bind and that works.  I also add in a piece of Kombu when I am making it to help get the minerals out of that as well.

My current recipe for a 1/2 gallon jar:

3/4 cup - 1 cup of sugar (I use less when using the agave)
1/8 tsp aluminum free baking soda
water
piece of an egg shell (calcium) - washed
about a 2 inch piece of kombu (seaweed)
water
& of course the grains
Let sit for 24-36 hours!

Perfect every time so far!!

date Sunday, May 23, 2010

0 comments to “How can you fault a drink?”